The Rent Choice Youth Program assists young people aged 16 - 24 to find a place to live, get approved for a lease and help towards paying the rent for up to three years. You can apply if you don't have your own place to live and are an Australian Citizen or Australian Permanent Resident.
What is the Rent Choice Youth Program?
The program helps young people aged 16-24 years to:
- Find a place to live (in a private rental unit, flat or home).
- Get approved for a lease.
- Pay the rent for up to three years.
- Stay in a current rental if it's affordable and help if needed to pay the rent.
Who can get Rent Choice?
You can apply if you:
- Are aged 16-24 years old.
- Don't have your own place to live (you might be sleeping on a couch at a friend's place, in a shelter or boarding house or at risk of homelessness.
- Are an Australian Citizen or Australian permanent resident.
- Are motivated to work or complete study or training to help obtain a job.
- Are on a low income or studying.
How does it work?
For the first 12 months, you pay 25% of your weekly income plus 100% of any Commonwealth Rent Assistance you may be entitled to get.
Once you have paid your part of the rent, we pay the rest directly to the landlord or real estate agent. The amount you pay will go up gradually after 12 months, but we’ll chat to you about that closer to the time.
How you pay your rent can include wages, government allowances, benefits and child support payments. Your income can increase and you can still continue to receive Rent Choice Youth.