A hardship program supporting people impacted by recent COVID-19 lockdown.
Samaritans is here to support people who have been financially impacted by the recent COVID-19 lockdown across the Newcastle, Hunter, Mid North Coast and Central Coast local government areas.
Am I eligible?
Did you need to spend your savings to pay your bills this year? This hardship assistance program is for people who are unable to pay their bills or who have needed spend their ‘rainy-day’ funds to do so due to loss of income because of the recent COVID-19 lockdowns. We can provide support to individuals, not to organisations or entities. See below for a list of the types of assistance available.
Assistance available may include:
- Food vouchers
- Essentials vouchers
- Outstanding utility bills (power/gas, telephone/internet)
- Special household/personal grants (clothing, bedding, kitchen utensils, furniture)
- Personal needs (medical and pharmaceutical)
- Vehicle expenses (registration, insurance etc.)
- School assistance (books, uniforms, excursions)
- Financial counselling
How can I apply?
Please contact your local assistance centre during opening hours and we will direct your call. Our centres are listed below.
Phone: 02 4922 1540
Opening hours: Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri; 10am – 2pm
Phone: 02 4993 3430
Opening hours: Mon, Wed, Fri; 10am – 2pm
Phone: 02 4393 2450
Opening Hours: Mon, Wed & Fri 9.30am till 1.30pm
Phone: 02 4959 7857
Opening hours: Tues, Wed, Thur & Fri 9.30am till 2.30pm
Phone: 02 4993 3400
Opening hours: Tue 9am – 12pm
Phone: 0448 405 350
Opening Hours: Monday 10:30am - 12:30pm
We want to make the process of applying for support as simple as possible. Before we start the application, we may need the following documents:
- Proof of your identity for you and your partner, such as a driver’s license or passport
- Current income statement for you and your partner (If in receipt of benefit); wage slips or other documentation of income received
- Bank statements for the relevant periods
- Proof of rent or board paid
- Proof of home ownership, such as a rates notice, loan document or title (If applicable)
- Any evidence of any debts and repayments made
- Recent bills paid and outstanding
- Any other documentation that will support your application