COVID Assistance Program
Community support

COVID Assistance Program

02 4922 1500

This program supports people that have been financially impacted by COVID-19.

Samaritans are here to support people who have been financially impacted recently by COVID-19. This covers residents across the Newcastle, Hunter, Mid North Coast and Central Coast local government areas.

Am I eligible?

Did you need to spend your savings to pay your bills this year? This assistance program is for people who are unable to pay their bills or who have needed to spend their ‘rainy-day’ funds to do so due to loss of income because of COVID-19. We can provide support to individuals. (not eligible to organisations or entities).

See below for a list of the types of assistance available.

Assistance available may include:

  • Food vouchers
  • Essentials vouchers
  • Outstanding utility bills (power/gas, telephone/internet)
  • Special household/personal grants (clothing, bedding, kitchen utensils, furniture)
  • Personal needs (medical and pharmaceutical)
  • Vehicle expenses (registration, insurance etc.)
  • School assistance (books, uniforms, excursions)
  • Financial counselling

How can I apply?

Please call 02 4922 1500 during business hours, or you can also contact one of our centres listed below.

Phone: 02 4922 1540
Opening hours: Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri; 10am – 2pm

Phone: 02 4993 3430
Opening hours: Mon, Wed, Fri; 10am – 2pm

Phone: 02 4393 2450
Opening Hours: Mon, Wed & Fri 9.30am till 1.30pm

Phone: 02 4959 7857
Opening hours: Tues, Wed, Thur & Fri 9.30am till 2.30pm

Phone: 02 4993 3400
Opening hours: Tue 9am – 12pm 

Phone: 0448 405 350
Opening Hours: Monday 10:30am - 12:30pm

Linkedin sales navigator W3 Jl3j R Ep DY unsplash

We want to make the process of applying for support as simple as possible. Before we start the application, we may need the following documents:

  • Proof of your identity for you and your partner, such as a driver’s license or passport
  • Current income statement for you and your partner (If in receipt of benefit); wage slips or other documentation of income received
  • Bank statements for the relevant periods
  • Proof of rent or board paid
  • Proof of home ownership, such as a rates notice, loan document or title (If applicable)
  • Any evidence of any debts and repayments made
  • Recent bills paid and outstanding
  • Any other documentation that will support your application
Need assistance? Get in touch
02 4922 1500

Related services