Children and Parenting Support
Samaritans offers free Supported Playgroups for children aged from birth up to 6 years.
Samaritans Supported Playgroups are facilitated by qualified Early Childhood trained staff. The facilitator can provide advice and information on parenting issues and community support. The facilitator also demonstrates key techniques based around play, communication skills and behaviour management.
The playgroups provided a structured and positive learning environment in which children can socialise, play and learn. They are also a great way for parents to meet and share their experiences.
Samaritans staff can also visit your home for one on one support and case management.
We celebrate parents being the best teachers of their children. Many families benefit from the supported playgroups as it promotes learning through play, having fun and spending quality time with your child. Benefits include:
- Experienced and qualified early childhood and family support workers
- A structured, positive learning environment that promotes children’s quality social interactions, play, knowledge and development
- Model ways in which parents and carers can play and communicate with their children to promote positive family and parent/carer child relationships
- Links, referrals and access to community, health and social services
- Information relating to resources and events within the wider community
- Information and support around your child’s development
- Guest speakers covering issues relating to parenting and childhood
- Parents gain the opportunity to meet and share their experiences
The Playgroups offer a range of activities for children and their parents/ carers to enjoy, including craft, games, music and stories. Morning tea is also provided.
The goal of the playgroups is for you to have fun with your child.
The Playgroups are located in Windale, Gateshead, Beresfield, Woodrising, Kurri and Coonabarabran. For more information on times and locations please use the contact information below.
Windale, Beresfield and Kurri Kurri – contact Sharna Milgate
Woodrising – contact Allison Forsyth
Coonabarabran – contact Liz Fox
Case Management and Kinship Care
Samaritans also offer Case Management and Kinship Care.
If you are struggling with caring for your child because of housing, financial, health or parenting challenges, one of our case managers can help you navigate these issues.
Our case managers also offer group or individual sessions in these programs:
- Circle of Security
- PuP – Parents under Pressure
- Bringing Up Great Kids
- Tuning into Kids
- 123 Magic Emotion Coaching
Case Management Contact Details
Cessnock – Marcia Spitzkowsky 0437101755 firstname.lastname@example.org
Coonabarabran – Liz Fox 0428920374 email@example.com
Lake Macquarie – Allison Forsyth 0428166119 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone Number
- Allison Forsyth on 0428166119 or Sharna Milgate on 0418453848 or Liz Fox on 0428920374
- Contact Email
- email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com