ARAFMI Hunter Samaritans
Samaritans supports the carers of people with mental illness in Newcastle and the Hunter.
ARAFMI Hunter Mental Health Carers offer support and counselling for the families and friends of people with mental illness.
Mental illness can have a ripple effect on families, creating tension, uncertainty and significant changes in how people live their lives. There is often little training or support for families and friends, and their personal needs and mental health can be sometimes be overlooked.
ARAFMI Hunter Mental Health Carers has been operating in the Hunter since 1979 to support anyone caring for someone with mental illness. The service joined Samaritans in 2019.
- Free face-to-face or over the phone counselling with accredited and professional counsellors
- Assistance in navigating the Hunter New England mental health services
- Information on psychiatric illnesses
- Borderline Personality Disorder monthly support group for carers
- Therapeutic Workshop for 8 Stages of Healing
- You are providing unpaid help to someone with a mental illness
- You may be receiving a Centrelink Carers Payment
- You can refer yourself to our service
- You do not need to provide a formal diagnosis for the person you are helping
Counselling Hours & Location
Monday / Tuesday / Wednesday / Friday
Broadmeadow Office (32 Brunker Road Broadmeadow)
Every 2nd Tuesday
Hunter Valley Community Mental Health Services (Unit 10/155 High St Maitland)
If you are intending on walking in 2019, we’d encourage you to register your attendance. Click here!
If you are an organisation who would like to be a stallholder on the day, please click here to register your interest.