ARAFMI Hunter Samaritans
Samaritans supports the carers of people with mental illness in Newcastle and the Hunter.
ARAFMI Hunter Mental Health Carers offer support and counselling for the families and friends of people with mental illness.
Mental illness can have a ripple effect on families, often creating uncertainty, tension and significant changes in how people live their lives. The personal needs and mental health of carers can be sometimes be overlooked and there is little training or support for carers.
ARAFMI Hunter Mental Health Carers has been operating in the Hunter since 1979 to help fill the gaps in providing support for people who are caring for loved ones with mental illness. The service joined Samaritans in 2019.
This is done by providing;
- free counselling for carers with accredited and professional counsellors
- assistance in navigating the Hunter New England mental health services
- information on psychiatric illnesses
- monthly support groups to connect with other carers with similar experiences
- telephone peer support and weekly wellbeing calls
- educational workshops to help develop skills for better self-care and support for loved ones
Topics covered in workshops for carers include;
- Personal Boundaries
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- The 8 stages of healing
ARAFMI Hunter helps anyone who provides support to someone with a mental illness or disorder. NO referral is necessary.