Wellness Walk 2019
The Samaritans ARAFMI Wellness Walk will return to the Newcastle CBD on Saturday 19th October. The first annual Wellness Walk was hosted in 2005 and continues to grow in popularity, with an estimated 800 attendees expected in 2019.
We are currently welcoming registrations for those who would like to walk in 2019. You can register your attendance by clicking here.
Beginning at Pacific Park at 10am, the participants will walk 1.5km with smiles, banners, ribbons and pride to show their support to those living with mental illness and their family, friends and carers.
The 1.5km walk will culminate with a community event at Civic Park, featuring live music, speakers, entertainment, refreshments, BBQ, market stalls, activities and information on mental health.
The Samaritans ARAFMI Wellness Walk will be held on Saturday 19th October, 2019 from 10am-1pm. As we get excited for this year’s event, we’d love for you to join our Facebook event for regular updates.
We are grateful for the support of our event sponsors: Event Cinemas, Port Waratah Coal Services, APM Employment Services, Hunter Primary Care, Compass Pools, Warners Bay Hospital and Rutherford Telarah Rotary Club.
Thank you to our event supporter: Newcastle City Council
The information below is also within this Word document: Newcastle Wellness Walk 2019 Accessibility Information – Word
Physical Access and terrain
- Public transport to Pacific Park: Newcastle Light Rail station
- Walk will be on the road, with road closures in place
- Wellness Walk route: The walk route is from Pacific Park (Pacific Street) Newcastle, down Hunter Street, through Hunter Street Mall, left turn onto Perkins Street, right turn onto King Street, ending Civic Park (corner of King Street and Darby Street)
- Most of the road route is bitumen, however through Hunter Street Mall, the road is cobbled and uneven (see photo)
The terrain for the entire walk has been marked up on this Terrain Map: Wellness Walk 2019 Terrain Map
- When Walk participants are invited to start from Pacific Park, priority will first be given to those who self-identify as having mobility or access needs
- There are no toilet facilities at Pacific Park
- There are accessible toilets (no key required) in the middle of the Walk route, halfway down Hunter Street Mall on the left (Morgan Street)
- There is a toilet building block at Civic Park. A portable accessible toilet will be at Civic Park for the day of the Wellness Walk
- Welcome speeches at the commencement of the walk at Pacific Park will have an Auslan interpreter
- Sensory note: All Walk participants will receive ribbons on a stick with bells to be waved during walk. At the end of the Walk, there will be a program of activities at Civic Park with occasional loud sound and flashing lights. There will also be people among the crowd dressed in costume
- Limited seating at Pacific Park
- Plentiful bench seating throughout Hunter Street Mall
- Bus stop bench on King Street outside Foghorn Brewhouse
- Civic Park has bench seating throughout, with a number marked on the day “Please vacate this seat for somebody who may need it”)
- A water bubbler is located in the centre of Civic Park
- A free sausage sizzle will be provided among the entertainment and paid food options at Civic Park. Paid food options include coffee and fairy floss
- All assistance dogs are welcome on the day
- Water bowls provided at Civic Park provided for assistance dogs
For people who can’t make it on the day, we will do a Facebook Live of the walk from Pacific Park to Civic Park, capturing all the best of the atmosphere from the ground. Keep an eye on www.facebook.com/samaritansfoundation.