NSW Fire Emergency
Over the weekend, you have no doubt seen and perhaps sadly experienced the terrifying scenes of bushfires across the eastern coast of New South Wales. Our thoughts are with those people and families within our community who have already experienced loss due to this natural disaster, and to those whose homes and livelihood may be at risk over the coming days.
Samaritans Disaster Recovery team has been stationed on the Mid North Coast in partnership with Chaplaincy Australia, the Salvation Army and the Red Cross. We have had volunteers working at Club Taree, Old Bar Bowling Club and the Tuncurry Bowling Club.
Evacuation centres can open and close as needed, however it is likely that these three will remain open all week. To find out where evacuation centres are in your local area:
- ABC local radio is kept updated with evacuation centre information
- Visit https://www.emergency.nsw.gov.au/. This site has a dedicated link for the November fires – it has the address details for all of the evacuation centres.
If you are in an area impacted by fires, we offer you of a few tips to prepare:
- Fuel your car
- Recharge your mobile, write important contact numbers in a notebook in case your phone runs out of battery
- Pack your bag (add medications, phone charger, power board, water, loose cash, snacks, change of clothes)
- Know your own bushfire plan
- Let your family and friends know where you go
Samaritans are committed to continuing to provide support as the full extent of impact on the people we support, services and staff becomes clearer over the next few days. If you would like more information on our service provision during the bushfires, please contact our head office on 1300 656 336 (local call cost).